Tuesday, February 15, 2011

15 Most Misspelled Words

Last night my wife, a fifth-grade teacher at a local elementary school, was telling me about a little memory aid she had developed to help her students learn to spell a lot correctly. "They always spell it as one word," she said.

As I recall, that's when she grrrr-d.

Take heart, my love, your students are not alone in their misspelling of a lot.
Spellchecker.net recently published their list of the 15 Most Misspelled Words in the U.S., and guess which word came in second?

Right, alot.

(Perhaps the whole nation needs that little memory aid.)

Here, then, the full list from Spellchecker.net.

Misspellers, beware.

5 comments:

  1. What was her memory aid for the kids? I have trouble with separate and occurred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did one only for alot. But maybe she'll do one for those two too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about scissors and surprise???? Those two haunted me FOREVER!! (ahh..ummm....did I spell them right????!!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you spelled them correctly. I'm sure they're on the list but apparently not at the very top. But maybe top 25?

    ReplyDelete