Friday, December 31, 2010

Glad and Sad 2010 Is Leaving

The one charm of the past is that it is the past. ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray



The year 2010 is nearly gone as I write this, at 5:15 PM on December 31, and I'm seeing lots of Facebook posts from people delighted to see 2010 disappear.

As for me, I find myself both glad it's going and sad to see it leave.

Glad because a dear friend learned that she has inoperable cancer, and in that way  2010 represents a mind-boggling ultimatum handed to  a wonderful person who doesn't remotely deserve it.

Glad it's going because the Phillies lost the Series, dose bums.

Glad because I made far too many mistakes and broke way too many things at home because I'm such a dumbklutz.

Yes, for those reasons and I suppose a few more, I'm glad the year is heading home.

And yet I'll be sad to see it go because I found many new friends and reinvigorated my creative juices this year using social media, such as Twitter, Facebook, and the blog you're reading now. Very fun.

Sad because I scored my personal best playing golf, scoring 77 on a small executive course nearby. (It doesn't count, really, because the course is so short and so easy, but hey, it's a 77!)

[caption id="attachment_702" align="alignright" width="188" caption="Jack Alexander Thomas"][/caption]

And sad because 2010 will be remembered as the year my first grandchild entered the world. He's in the other room now, actually, sleeping on the couch, our dog Sadie standing post just a few feet away.

So 2010 is leaving, and 2011 is just hours away.

Here's hoping it brings new triumphs and joys, good health and much laughter, few tears and bounteous rewards.

Here's hoping it brings you at least a moment or two of pure bliss, the kind found in a baby's bubbling laugh.

Here's hoping you win more than you lose, find more than you misplace, grin more than you frown, and like yourself more with each passing day.

And so goodbye, 2010. And to 2011...

L'Chaim!

No comments:

Post a Comment