Monday, April 26, 2010

Unquote and the Great Dick Cavett

[caption id="attachment_406" align="alignright" width="211" caption="Edgar and said Raven "][/caption]

"Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Unquote.

For years and years if I quoted someone, I would finish with the word "unquote."

It never made sense to me, really. I mean, unquote? It was a quote but now it's an unquote?

But I didn't think much about it either. That's what other people said, so I figured it must be the correct word.

Then, many years later, I read a piece by the amazingly brilliant Dick Cavett, author and talk show host extraordinaire.

He said no, it's not unquote, it's end quote.

Now that made sense. You start the quote with "quote," say the quote, and then end it with "end quote."

[caption id="attachment_407" align="alignright" width="116" caption="Dick Cavett"][/caption]

And so, dear reader, the next time you quote someone, say "End quote," not "Unquote," and think of the great Dick Cavett when you do.

I couldn't possibly end this blog without a Cavett quote, so here it is:

"As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it."

Perhaps not the best quote for this particular piece. Nonetheless, end quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment